Of all the problems in America, one of the most debated and controversial is the health care reform bill. Obama made it a personal mission to bring healthcare to everyone. Some people see it as a blessing, others as a sign of socialism.
One woman interviewed stated she hasn’t had health insurance in years due to her epilepsy and the expensive medicine she needs. She now has to go through a city hospital for assistance instead of being able to choose her doctor and get her medicine at an affordable rate.
On the other end of that, Virginia District Judge Henry E. Hudson believes the new bill is unconstitutional because it forces Americans to purchase healthcare. His theory is some people don’t have it because they may not need it or just can’t afford it, no matter how affordable it is.
As with most things in life, nothing is ever black and white. Many people don’t know all the facts behind the bill. Not surprising as it’s over a thousand pages long. Here are a few highlights, as well as pros and cons of the health care law.
- Everyone will be required to have health insurance by the year 2014. As of now, only children are entitled to health insurance despite pre-existing orders. Adults will not have that right for another two years.
- Pros of that is the reform would push costs down while tightening the reins on medical inflation.
- Cons is the chance that hospitals providing Medicare may back out as they would lose money when the bill fully goes in to effect.
2. Employers must ensure health care is provided to their Employees.
- Pros is more workers will be secure knowing their medical needs are covered.
- Cons is employers have to pay a fine if they don’t offer coverage.
Whether you are a critic or a believer, this debate will continue for years to come.